5.30.2003


NEW EMAILS SURFACE IN NEW YORK TIMES SCANDAL

These emails were leaked early this morning in the spreading New York Times plagiarism scandal. It's beginning to look like this thing will never end.

From: John Gibbons
To: Ms Joan Gibbons, NYT
Who wrote this grocery list?

From: Ms Joan Gibbons, NYT
To: John Gibbons
What the hell are you talking about? I wrote it.

From: John Gibbons
To: Ms Joan Gibbons, NYT
Well the Goddam thing is written in Spanish and when the hell did you learn Spanish?

From: Ms Joan Gibbons
To: John Gibbons
It is standard practice to have the maid write grocery lists. I usually rewrite them into English but I make the requests and the maid takes them down and then I rewrite them. What is the big fucking deal?

From: John Gibbons
To: Ms Joan Gibbons
The big fucking deal is that included in the list are words and terminology that are clearly not your own: we don't eat ten pounds of "frijoles refritos". We don't pay the maid to write and translate your writing.

From: Ms Joan Gibbons
To: John Gibbons
Frijoles refritos are refried beans and I agree I made a mistake. Everybody has their maids write grocery lists, it's standard practice with everybody who has Mexican, Guatemalan, or El Salvadorian maids. What the hell is the sense of having a job at the New York Times if I can't have cheap help who will do what they are told or face deportation? I do the thinking. I do all the planning. I just let her do the mechanics of writing what I say. If you are going to make a big deal out of this I'll just move out and fuck Frank Davis who will give me a lot more action anyway. Your stupid rules are driving me nuts. I don't HAVE to sign my checks, that's what I have Rosa for. I don't HAVE to talk to the kids, that's what I have you for. EVERYBODY does those things. You better wise up because my morale is in the toilet over this. By the way, I'm going to need a little backup documentation. Some of these envious assholes around here are claiming my interview with Elvis Presley is fake. Help me on this and I'll have the maid blow you.